Total Prep Time : 1 hour
Cook Time : 30 minutes
- 25 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 25 additional garlic cloves (peeled and minced or chopped finely)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)
- 2 Tablespoons organic grass fed butter
- 3 cups of sliced onions
- 2 inches of fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme (or substitute Rosemary)
- 4 cups of chicken bone broth (I make my own or buy from Eatwell Farm) *to make it vegetarian use vegetable stock)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
- 4 lemon wedges
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a small glass baking dish add the unpeeled garlic cloves with the olive oil and sea salt to taste.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 45 minutes until the garlic becomes brown in color and tender to touch. Set aside and cool.
Squeeze the garlic between your fingertips to release the cloves and put aside
In a heavy saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat (do not brown) and add ginger, garlic, onions, thyme and cayenne pepper.
Cook until the garlic and onions become translucent (approx 6 minutes) then add the baked garlic.
Add the broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and puree with blender until it is smooth. Transfer back to the saucepan and add coconut milk and heat through.
Serve with salt and pepper, lemon wedges and fresh herbs.
Can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.